Thursday, December 31, 2009

The Strangers I Let Into My Living Room Each Week

Everyone talks about the best in movies or music, but to me the one that usually holds the biggest weight is the best of TV. Face it, week after week we let these broadcasts into our homes, we're usually wearing some form of loungewear as we eat excessive amounts of fatty goodness on our couches.



2009 was a VERY good year for the supernatural, particularly vampires. That's why both True Blood and Vampire Diaries make it onto my list this year. Dirty, vulgar, sex-filled, is it any wonder True Blood became a break-out hit this year? Taking full advantage of being on HBO there was nothing this show didn't just toss on the screen and have you want more. Vampire Diaries can't get away with nearly as much being on the CW, but they still managed to show some pretty broadcast TV-level gory death scenes. Plus if you can't have Ana Paquin's boobs (which are contractually obligated to show up in every ep of True Blood), Nina Dobev is a great substitute with her blend of Alyssa Milano and Eliza Dushku. Throw some fangs in the mix, can't beat that.


Speaking of the former Faith the Vampire Slayer actress, ratings be damned I like Dollhouse. True I'm a Whedon fan to the bone, but this show really found its way during this season. Sadly it wasn't enough to bring in new viewers or save itself from cancellation. I still look forward to the Season 1 & 2 gift pack so I can put it on the shelf next to Buffy and Angel.

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention RuPaul's Drag Race. Having seen the whole season via On Demand, this show was just what you'd imagine. Dressing up masculine women, becoming a girl group, using fruit in your get-up, this "reality" competition never took itself seriously at all and yet there was a certain sincerity to the whole event. Top that off with every episodes sudden death ending where Ru tells the contestants to "lip-synch for [their] life." Just as contrived as any other reality show, except everyone on here is in on the joke.

Sure it's not a new show, but if anyone can find a funnier show on network TV than 30 Rock I'm willing to bet you're not watching this show. Tina Fey is not only hilariously funny in her almost throw away delivery of her lines, but she's surrounded herself with a cast that is so consistently funny you can't help but wonder if they're not just being themselves. Having never really understood the allure of Tracy Morgan I can now say I too strive to achieve my own EGOT.

What would any year be of late without some sort of remake of a former TV show or movie? 2009 was no exception as we were allowed to revisit that perpetually active condo complex, Melrose Place. As a HUGE fan of the original my expectations were kinda high and truth be told the new version has been a fun ride that only looks to get even more fun. Some characters are already being written out, good-bye Ashlee Simpson, while others are being given more and more scenery to chew, Katie Cassidy you're fantastic. Oh sure, nothing can match the insanity that was Melrose 1.0 but I'm looking forward to seeing what Amanda can get these kids to do now that she's moved back into her old hunting ground.

To leave Glee off my list would be like going to an orphanage and telling the kids that not only did their parents not love them, but Santa and the Easter Bunny are fake. Regardless of how bad a day I've had, I can come home, pop on Glee and feel infinitely better. Jane Lynch's character of Sue is one of the best villain characters on TV today and she does it without going too far into one-dimensional territory. Lea Michelle, your voice is just all sorts of enjoyable, granted I love Idina Menzel so that was a given I suppose. Matthew Morrison, your vests and nerdy coolness are just the best thing ever, it's how I think I'd be if I was to go into teaching. Minus the slightly poofy white man afro. Fox, damn you for holding off the return of this little gem until April, guess I'll just keep watching the fall finale over and over while listenting to Vol 1 & 2 of the soundtracks. Don't judge me.

Thanks 2009 for bringing me such fun entertaining hourly and half hourly moments into my home. Now if 2010 can figure out how to get Comcast to actually let me watch things ON Demand, we'd be all set.

No comments:

Post a Comment